We are looking for an experienced Politics Editor to be a part of the Politics section under The Christian Post. The Politics Editor should be able to write articles (when needed), conduct interviews, solicit opinion pieces from thought leaders and experts, and handle line and copy edits, including breaking politics news and features. This position is based in Washington, DC.
- Distribute assignments to Reporters in collaboration with Managing Editors
- Review all Politics content, reviewing text, images, videos and embedded content
- Edit stories for content, accuracy, story flow and continuity; as well as for style, grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Work with staff and freelance writers to sharpen leads, as well as fact-checking
- Write compelling, SEO-friendly headlines; crafting concise, accurate captions
- Recruit Opinion writers/contributors who are thought leaders and respected practitioners in politics
- Interview key political leaders
- Network with political organizations and leaders
- Ensure content is written and presented with clarity and a biblical worldview
- Able and willing to write articles and breaking news stories
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree
- At least three years' proven experience working as a news editor online, post-baccalaureate.
- Proven experience in both line editing and copy editing, working revisions and rewriting of stories
- Ability to work under deadlines without compromising editorial standards
- Expert with AP style
- Agree with The Christian Post’s statement of faith
Please include at least 3 writing samples, a cover letter, and resume.